Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veterans Day and My Dad's Birthday:

Honor Thy Forefather's: Part One 11-Nov-08:

Strange thing this. We booked our tickets to Ireland six months in advance. The bookings changed a few times over the course of our planning and the actual embarkation of our trip. A day or two before we left I looked at the tickets and realized that we were flying to Dulles outside of Washington D.C. I looked up Dulles on the map and I was not surprised when I found that it was centrally located on the same ground where James Gilmour was stationed, fought and eventually died during the Civil War. So we were leaving from where he died, and going back to where he was born. The unplanned plan again. Hand of God? Stranger things have and continue to happen.


I don't exactly remember when I first heard The Furey's with Davey Arthur sing "My Old Man." but I remember how I felt. I cried. Most guys will at least admit to chocking up but I'm not most guys.


Since that day it has pretty much remained the theme song for my life. When we went to Ireland we bought 3 tickets to see the Furey's with Davy Arthur at the Alley in Strabane. During the intermission, as we sipped the 3 Guinness's that were waiting for us in the lobby, (...now this is the way to see a Concert!!!) we purchased 3 CD's, and 3 T-shirts. We bought the tickets and payed for CD's and T-shirts because we support and appreciate the Arts.

The song was in my head the entire flight, and in our CD player the 2 weeks that we were there. It was therefore a natural thing for me to want to include it in my Travel Movie's. If you like The Furey's and Davy Arthur as much as I do please BUY their CD's & DVD's. If you get the chance: SEE THEM IN CONCERT. It was a Highlight among Highlights and I can't wait to see them again someday.

It is my sincere hope, that if they ever see this series they will understand that by adding it to my movie, I do so with love and appreciation for their craft. And that if you too come to feel as I do you will also support them by buying their music as well.

obeedúid~
11/Nov/08

No comments:

Post a Comment