The past couple of weeks has been very busy as far as the Poetry Scene goes; ...with at least 3 more events up and coming. I may have to miss one on principle alone. Say... "Oh, I can't make it to this one because I have to clean my Bathroom this evening..." ...or something like that.
I have been reading a book that Jimmy gave me that he had to read for a History Course entitled " The Island at the Center of the World" by Russel Shorto. ("The Epic Story of Dutch Manhattan and the forgotten Colony that shaped America.") (...Thats where the term "koekies" comes from...) ...Dr. Sullivan calls the book a populist diversion. It has been a diversion for me in that it is informative, light, ...and something I can do that takes my mind off of all the things I said I would do but haven't for lack of...well, "Cleaning My Bathroom".
"Cleaning My Bathroom" is something I do when a relationship is about to end, or I am about to start something BIG and NEW. You see, I clean Bathrooms (and other things) for a living at this point, and who wants to do that when you get home after a full day of doing it 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. Don't get me wrong, my Bathroom is not so bad that I am growing Black Mold, but it isn't as Spic&Span as you might expect from a professional at the moment either. What I'm talking about here is a Deep Down Clean with a Toothbrush kind of thing. PURGE is the word that often comes to mind.
So, I feel like I should resolve some thing or other. Its that time of the year after all. It might be time to leave "The Island at the Center of the World" so to speak. Here is my attempt. An attempt at a Populist Tradition:
New Years resolutions I can live with....
- I am taking a week off in January to finish up my Videos. Life has just been to busy to complete this project in the timely fashion I had intended.
- I will shave off my mustache in the spring and let it grow back again in the fall. O.K. so thats what I do every year but thats what makes it something I can live with! After all I always have....
- I will not take in another stray this year... fortunately, I DON'T HAVE THE ROOM ANYMORE! This one is too true, hits close to the heart and needs to be dealt with seriously for once.
- I will try not to define myself by the Women I am with. I hereby resolve to find someone with no more baggage than I have. HONEST! I promise Kids....
- Perhaps come April Fools Day I will shave off Half of My Mustache that might be fun! I will certainly be an April Fool!
- I will focus on turning the outlines for the next five chapters of "O' Wasterly Gale" into actual drafts as soon as the Videos are done. Even at the expense of my poetry if need be. (This one may be the first to be broken as poetry seems to work on its own timetable...)
- I will only drink Black & Tans made with "Sierra Nevada Pale Ale". (I think I can live with this one... as long as I'm in a Pub where they actually serve "Sierra Nevada Pale Ale" in which case I may just have to settle for the next best thing... or the second best thing... or...)
- I will set up my Bedroom into the "Sanctum Sanctimonious" I have always dreamed of... "No Kittens to knock things over and push things under the black whole neath the Bed allowed!"
- I won't fall asleep on the couch watching PBS every night of the week. (...maybe only once or twice a week from now on...)
- I'll Love everyone I can and tell them so. Even if I don't I'll try. Even if they are a Kitten named Guinness who knocks things over all day long... (O.K. Sarah?)
"Smilin' on the inside
And on the outside!"